Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Anna Young - Graphic Design Emphasis

Graphic design is the perfect combination of the right and left sides of the brain. It requires logic and analyzation, but also allows for creativity and design. This particular aspect is what most draws me to graphic design. It gives me an opportunity to use problem solving and creativity in tandem, which, for me personally, is very important.

Before coming to the art department, I spent time in the medical sciences. I was planning on graduating with a degree in Medical Laboratory Science. After a few semesters, I discovered that while I enjoyed many aspects of this field, it wasn’t a career I wanted to pursue. I enjoyed learning about medical science and loved that it required so much problem solving, but there was no opportunity to express myself creatively. Without that, I was left feeling that something was missing.

Since I've moved to the art department, I feel like I’ve found a place where I can put both my desire to create and to problem solve to good use. I love the challenge of finding original and innovative solutions to communicate ideas. I’ve always loved art, but what I love about graphic design is that it provides a practical and functional application of art. The idea of creating art that serves a purpose – be it a logo design, a brochure, an infographic, or packaging – is very exciting.

As I’ve come into the art department and experimented in trying to find my style, I’ve been able to learn a lot about myself and about what kind of work I want to create. I want to be able to communicate ideas clearly and succinctly. I want to learn how to design with purpose and simplicity. I feel that I’ve already learned so much in the art department over the past few semesters, and I want to push my learning further. I know I have a long way to go to achieve my goals, but I’m proud of the progress I’ve made and hope to continue progressing in my education and practical application of design.

No comments:

Post a Comment